From the desk of Katie Jackson:
As summertime meanders through our calendars each year, with its slower pace and often unbearable heat, it is natural to dream of the refreshing breeze and the tranquil sounds of the perpetual waves at the seashore. A Seaside Summer invites readers on a soothing journey to the shore through a trio of sweet romance novellas in the latest addition to the Timeless Romance Anthology® collection from Mirror Press.
“The New Countess” by Josi S. Kilpack explores how open communication and common goals can lead to trust and true companionship. Lord and Lady Avery have entered into a marriage of convenience after their respective spouses’ untimely deaths. The earl needs a countess to manage his household and his reputation and to raise his motherless daughter. His new wife, left penniless by her late husband, needs security and a father for her sons. Theirs is a cordial and distant relationship, but words left unspoken will eventually erupt. “Distance was something she’d accepted as a normal part of marriage, but discord was very different and she did not want that.” (541) Will a family holiday to a cottage by the sea be the change of scenery they need to create the peaceful life together that they each never dared to hope for?
“Mishaps and Memories” by Martha Keyes illustrates the importance of first impressions as well as the value of thoughtful kindness to others, no matter their status. Judith Jardine, daughter of a vicar, and James Carlisle, son of a wealthy merchant, had an unfortunate and memorable introduction at a society event. “No one had been able to take her seriously after Mr. Carlisle’s mockery.” (1194) Judith’s one chance to make a favorable match had been ruined by his cruel thoughtlessness. When their paths cross again at the seaside, under vastly different circumstances, Judith seizes the opportunity to turn the tables on a now-vulnerable and memory-less James, aiming for some harmless revenge while she teaches the insufferable gentleman a valuable lesson in humility. As they become better acquainted with each other in their simple surroundings, will their increasingly tender feelings change once the truth is revealed?
“Moonlight Summer” by Heather B. Moore demonstrates how challenging times in life can not only strengthen a person’s resolve to live as they wish, while weakening their care for others’ judgments, but also make their pleasant affinities all the more joyful in contrast. Miss Dorothea Atkinson’s life has changed dramatically after the loss of her father. Her mother’s remarriage brings with it a new family and new expectations. Simply put, “Dottie was now an inconvenience.” (2218) Since a society scandal and family tragedy ten years before, Oscar Rosewell has lived in relative seclusion and contentment until the day he meets Dottie on the shore. “Their conversation had been frank, but also friendly. The fact that she’d come to the darkened seashore, like he had, to seek quiet and solace was … intriguing.” (2595) When complications threaten their congenial friendship, will their painful pasts compel them to choose a new path?
My single complaint—as is often the case when I read enjoyable novellas—is that they are not long enough for my liking, but each of these stories was delightful in unique ways. In “The New Countess,” the tentative evolution of the couple’s relationship was made sweeter by their authentic feelings. My favorite part of Josi S. Kilpack’s inspirational tales is always the depth of her relatable characters. “Mishaps and Memories” contained the thought-provoking lessons and witty dialogue that I consider the hallmarks of a fantastic Martha Keyes story. And I enjoyed the contemplative yet realistic feel of the protagonists’ interactions in “Moonlight Summer,” including the subtle historical details that distinguish a Heather B. Moore plot. For each of the tempestuous couples in these stories, “I cannot think of anything more restorative than the sea.” (722)
A Seaside Summer traverses the rocky shore of romantic attachments to reach the serenity of happily-ever-after.
5 out of 5 Stars
Join the virtual book tour of A SEASIDE SUMMER, a collection of novellas by bestselling authors Josi S. Kilpack, Martha Keyes, and Heather B. Moore, August 23-September 19, 2021. Over twenty-five popular on-line influencers specializing in Regency romance, historical romance, and inspirational fiction will join in the celebration of the release of the 17th book in the bestselling Timeless Regency Romance Collection with a spotlights, exclusive excerpts, and reviews of this new anthology set in Regency England.
- Aug 23 Austenprose (Review)
- Aug 24 My Jane Austen Book Club (Excerpt)
- Aug 24 Getting Your Read On (Review)
- Aug 25 The Bibliophile Files (Review)
- Aug 26 Heidi Reads (Review)
- Aug 27 Our Book Confessions (Review)
- Aug 30 The Lit Bitch (Spotlight)
- Aug 30 Wishful Endings (Review)
- Aug 31 For Where Your Treasure Is (Spotlight)
- Sept 01 The Book Diva Reads (Spotlight)
- Sept 01 Rosanne E. Lortz (Review)
- Sept 02 Laura’s Reviews (Review)
- Sept 04 Encouraging Words from the Tea Queen (Excerpt)
- Sept 07 Probably at the Library (Review)
- Sept 08 Gwendalyn’s Books (Review)
- Sept 08 So Little Time… (Spotlight)
- Sept 09 Books and Socks Rock (Spotlight)
- Sept 10 Christian Chick’s Thoughts (Review)
- Sept 11 Storeybook Reviews (Excerpt)
- Sept 13 From Pemberley to Milton (Review)
- Sept 13 My Bookish Bliss (Review)
- Sept 14 Bookworm Lisa (Review)
- Sept 15 Relz Reviewz (Spotlight)
- Sept 15 Reading with Emily (Review)
- Sept 16 Reading is my Superpower (Review)
- Sept 16 Lu Reviews Books (Review)
- Sept 17 Greenish Bookshelf (Spotlight)
- Sept 17 Austenesque Reviews (Review)
- Sept 17 Bringing Up Books (Review)
- Sept 18 Book Confessions of an Ex-Ballerina (Review)
- Sept 19 Eli’s Novel Reviews (Review)
Mirror Press is pleased to offer one digital copy of any of the 16 previous books in the Timeless Regency Romance Collection to one unique winner at each stop on the tour.
To qualify, please leave a comment with this blog post before 11:59pm, September 26, 2021. Visit each stop on the tour and leave a comment to increase your chance to win a book.
This contest is open internationally. The winner will be drawn randomly from the comments and announced on each blog on September 27, 2021. The winner must claim their prize before October 04, 2021. Good luck to all!
- A Seaside Summer: Timeless Regency Collection (Book 17), by Josi S. Kilpack, Martha Keyes, and Heather B. Moore
- Mirror Press (August 24, 2021)
- Trade paperback, eBook, and audiobook (307) pages
- ISBN: 978-1952611186
We received one review copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Austenprose.com is an Amazon.com affiliate. We receive a modest remuneration when readers use our links and make a purchase.
Cover image courtesy of Mirror Press © 2021; text Katie Jackson © 2021, Austenprose.com