Good things come in small packages!
My regular readers will know that I adore a well-written short story and edited an anthology of them myself inspired by Jane Austen. Falling for Mr. Thornton is a new collection of “little gems” inspired by another classic author, Elizabeth Gaskell.
Based on her Victorian-era novel North and South, set during its industrial revolution— a turbulent time in British history when machinery was replacing manual labor— it also revolves around the spikey relationship between Margaret Hale and John Thornton, a love story that rivals Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice.
This anthology includes a dozen stories by popular historical fiction authors in the Gaskellesque genre and is a mixture of historical, contemporary, variations, and continuations that are sure to thrill anyone who is a hooked as I am on the 2004 television adaptation North & South, starring Richard Armitage. Here is additional information on the anthology and an exclusive excerpt for your enjoyment.
Amidst the turbulent backdrop of a manufacturing town in the grips of the Industrial Revolution, Elizabeth Gaskell penned the timeless passion of Mr. Thornton and Margaret Hale. A mixing of contemporary and Victorian, this short story anthology by twelve beloved authors considers familiar scenes from new points of view or re-imagined entirely. Capturing all the poignancy, heartbreak, and romance of the original tale, Falling for Mr. Thornton is a collection of stories for all who love North and South.
STORIES AND AUTHORS:
- “On the Island,” by Melanie Stanford
- “Passages in Time,” by Kate Forrester
- “The First Day of Spring,” by M. Liza Marte
- “Loose Leaves from Milton,” by Damaris Osborne
- “Reeducating Mr. Thornton,” by Evy Journey
- “Mistakes and Remedies,” by Julia Daniels
- “Her Father’s Last Wish,” by Rose Fairbanks
- “The Best Medicine,” by Elaine Owen
- “Cinders and Smoke,” by Don Jacobson
- “Mischances,” by Nicole Clarkston
- “Looking to the Future,” by Nancy Klein
- “Once Again,” by Trudy Brasure
EXCLUSIVE EXCERPT: Continue reading “A Preview of Falling for Mr. Thornton: Tales of North and South, by Trudy Brasure, Et Al”