The exact day of publication of Pride and Prejudice is uncertain, but we do know from Austen’s personal correspondence that she had received her own copy from her publisher by January 27, 1813, and the London newspaper The Morning Chronicle announced Pride and Prejudice as ‘Published this Day’ on 28 January 1813. So, that is the date that scholars have accepted.
You will see all sorts of media coverage this week, including this BBC news article, and many others about this worldwide celebration, but the Jane Austen blogosphere is having their own party in honor of this fabulous novel with a Blog Hop hosted by Courtney at Stiletto Storytime and author Alyssa Goodnight. See the great list of giveaways that we are offering to readers below!
If you would like your celebration of Pride and Prejudice to continue, please join us here at Austenprose for The Pride and Prejudice Bicentenary Challenge 2013. We are reading the classic novel and exploring many of the many novels, books, movies and entertainments that it has inspired with a monthly review and discussion. It’s totally free and guaranteed fun.
A GRAND CELEBRATORY GIVEAWAY
Enter a chance to win one of eight books available by leaving a comment sharing your story of your first impressions of Pride and Prejudice or if you have not read it yet, why you would like to by 11:59 PT, Wednesday, February 6, 2013. Winners to be announced on Thursday, February 7, 2013. Shipment to US addresses only.
- Pride and Prejudice (Naxos Audiobooks Young Adult’s Classic), by Jane Austen, read by Jenny Agutter
- Dancing with Mr. Darcy, edited by Sarah Waters
- Mr. Darcy’s Dream, by Elizabeth Aston
- Jane Austen in Love, by Elsa Solender
- Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict, by Laurie Viera Rigler
- Jane Austen Made Me Do It, edited by Laurel Ann Nattress
- Falling For Mr. Darcy, by KaraLynne Mackrory
- Austensibly Ordinary, by Alyssa Goodnight
© 2013 Laurel Ann Nattress, Austenprose