For those following the Sense and Sensibility Bicentenary Celebration at My Jane Austen Book Club, featuring monthly contributions by Austen bloggers and authors through the year in honor of the 200th anniversary of the publication of Sense and Sensibility, I had the honor of the final post, Marianne Dashwood: A Passion for Dead Leaves and other Sensibilities.
When Maria invited me to join the celebration, I especially requested to be the last contributor because I wanted to talk about Marianne Dashwood, Jane Austen’s young, emotional and “sensible” co-heroine. She should have the last word – and I think I have given her a strong finish with quotes from the novel exemplifying her personality and position. We may not always agree with Marianne and her emotional outbursts, but she makes a very entertaining heroine.
Here are the monthly contributions to the celebration
- January: Men, Marriage, and Money in Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility by Jennifer Becton
- February: Sense and Sensibility on Film, by Alexa Adams
- March: Property and Inheritance Law in Sense and Sensibility, by C. Allyn Pierson
- April: Lost in Sense and Sensibility, by Beth Pattillo
- May: Willoughby: A Rogue on Trail, by Jane Odiwe
- June: Secrets in Sense and Sensibility, by Deborah Barnum
- July: An Interview with Lucy Steele, by Laurie Viera Rigler
- August: Settling for the Compromise Marriage, by Regina Jeffers
- September: Tracing the Roots of Sense and Sensibility, by Lynn Shepherd
- October: Sense and Sensibility Fan Fiction, by Meredith Esparza
- November: Mr. Palmer Discuses his Fellow Minor Characters, by Vic Sanborn
- December: Marianne Dashwood: A Passion for Dead Leaves and other Sensibilities, by Laurel Ann Nattress
Check out my essay and leave a comment on the post at My Jane Austen Book Club to enter a chance to win a signed (by me) copy of Jane Austen Made Me Do It, my new Jane Austen-inspired short story anthology just released in October by Ballantine Books. The contest is open through December 31st, 2011. Good Luck!
© 2007 – 2011 Laurel Ann Nattress, Austenprose